Sustainable Green Building (Mauritius) Ltd t/a GBCM is a not-for-profit organisation committed to a prosperous and sustainable future for our nation through cost-efficient and energy-saving green buildings. GBCM was founded in 2009 by a group of Mauritian professionals, researchers and entrepreneurs eminent in the fields of green building and sustainable planning.
GBCM is a member of the World Green Building Council (WGBC). The World Green Building Council is an organization that regroups all green building councils around the world, close to 100, and leads the global movement towards a sustainable built environment. We are also working regionally as an active participant of the World Green Building Council Africa Regional Network, where knowledge and best practices is shared to facilitate and promote the uptake of green buildings in respective countries.
The mission of GBCM is to facilitate and promote a sustainable approach to planning, design, construction and utilisation of the built environment; mitigating its overall impact on human health and the environment.
Our Vision is to transform and lead the built environment sector in Mauritius towards a sustainable future.
- Promote the construction and use of buildings and other infrastructure that are environmentally responsible, sustainable, profitable and healthy places to live and work
- Foster a closer association between people in the building industry and other sectors who are involved in the construction, use and promotion of environmentally responsible buildings
- To be Mauritius's principal coalition of leaders from the building industry involved in promoting environmentally responsible buildings
- Encourage the dissemination and development of knowledge regarding environmentally responsible buildingpractices in the building and related industries
- Campaign for the wider recognition of environmentally responsible buildings and lead market transformation of the building industry
- Publicise environmentally responsible building practices within the building industry and the wider community generally
- Act as a focal point for information on environmentally responsible building to consumers and the building industry
- Act as a lead partner in research projects into environmentally sustainable building and evaluation metric
- Support and encourage teaching and research programs aimed at raising the knowledge and skill base of green building practitioners and in particular to actively work to align relevant publicly funded research to the practice/market requirements for innovation and development in green building implementation
- Participate in public debate on environmental issues within the building industry
- Campaign, solicit or otherwise obtain funds to be applied towards the above objects